Monday, October 3, 2011

Vegan Nosh

Published with Blogger-droid v1.7.4
First time having a manger at a Vegan eatery. Spiral Diner and Bakery is a jumping spot. Get in where you can fit in, because they are pretty popular with folks. Their philosophy is that you have "helpers" not waiters, who "help" with getting your meal to your table. Silverware, napkings, water, tea and beverages are gotten by you, unless it is a smoothie, one of their yum-o-licious limeades or juice blends (i.e. carrot juice and company--the uber-healthy stuff). Don't leave a tip on the table. Place it in the tip jar at the counter where you pay for your meal. The helpers split whatever the take is for the day. They were quite polite and helpful in giving suggestions for meal choices. So, how about the food? The pancakes were yum-o, and they have an "all-you-can-eat" option for just under $6. I ordered The BigTaquito "scramble", which was a no-go. It just didn't live up to the description about potatoes, vegetables, etc. Not as vegetable-y as I had thought, nor as flavorful. I wasn't expecting the "oozy", light yellowish-green "scramble" either. The side of salsa helped me to get it down, as well as the grapes. I tried my best to give it a chance. It just didn't work out for me. My compadres had the veggie burger which looked mighty tasty. I'd already had one at another place a couple of days earlier, which is why I tried the taquito. The homemade hummus was palatable, and you have your choice of corn chips, tortilla chips or tortillas to dip it with. At the end of my meal, I decided to order a bakery treat. A chocolate cuppie. It was a hit with me! I obviously do not have a pic of it, because well, I inhaled it! All in all, it was a good, new experience to have, and actually I'm now on the vegetarian route (ovo-lacto that is). No, not a fad diet. I don't do those. More of a health, lifestyle reason. I picked up a brochure at the diner and it definitely sent me over to the meatless side. I was already near that edge anyway. The pics in the brochure just kind of nudged me a little further. =) - EF

No comments:

Post a Comment